Friday, January 18, 2008

Oatmeal

I was never huge on breakfast. I know its the "most important meal of the day" but I wasn't crazy about it. Then I started eating Oatmeal.

As I got older I liked veggies and fiber more and more. One problem though is that being single, I have a hard time eating all the veggies before they go bad. In my attempt to figure out how to improve my bowel movement I started eating a lot of lettuce. Usually I binge on it, for a week or two I barely had any lettuce, and then for a week or two I would have half a head of lettuce for each meal. I like romaine lettuce. But I found that after a week or two, I wasn't getting that feeling of ease on the ceramic seat as I was when I started loading up on the lettuce. And the flatulence from all the ranch salad dressing wasn't very aromatic.

Then I did some research on wikipedia concerning dietary fiber. Turns out there's 1.6g of dietary fiber per 100g of celery. Romaine Lettuce only has 2.1g of dietary fiber per 100g. But the champ turns out to be Oats! 100g of Oats has 11g of dietary fiber! That was my problem, vegetables don't have enough dietary fiber. So that's when I turned to Oatmeal.

I started eating Oatmeal for breakfast. Oatmeal is great, it lowers cholesterol and it results in simply awesome bowel movement. Unfortunately, it tastes god awful without some type of additive. I've tried using a dallop of butter (but that doesn't sound too healthy), soy sauce (its a bad idea), chili powder (too hot for breakfast), and I also tried salt, but I was worried that would raise my blood pressure (counteracting any benefit of lowered cholesterol). I even tried going gourmet, I would make Oatmeal with leeks, chives, oninons, etc. But the preparation time was too much. Tasted great, but was too much work for breakfast. I even tried poaching an egg in my Oatmeal, too messy.

Now I figured out the best additive... it's strawberry jam! And I figured out the best way to make oatmeal so that it's non-intrusive and consumes as little time as possible. The first thing I do when I wake up in the morning is I boil some water. Then I throw three handfuls of oatmeal into a bowl and pour the boiling water over the oatmeal. After one or two meals, you don't even need to measure the water anymore, you can pretty much eyeball it. Then I jump into the shower, sing a song, dry up, and get dressed. By that time, the oatmeal is perfect. As Goldilocks would say, "not too hot, not too cold, but juuuuust right!". Then I add some strawberry jam. About one tablespoon, stir it around in the oatmeal and eat away while I read the news.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I have eaten oatmeal all my life, mastered with milk which makes the porridge get risotto texture creamy with butter together becomes nutritious and filling.