Sunday, January 13, 2008

Cookware

I use cookware of varying types. I generally stick to two brands, Revere for stainless steel + copper base. And everything else I use Calphalon. The cost of an average frying pan is about the same as a good 16 oz steak. The cost of a top-of-the-line frying pan like the Calphalon One Infused Anodized 11-Inch Chef's Skillet can run about $200 (which I think is pretty expensive), I got mine for $75, so I don't feel too bad.

I like Revere because this stuff is amazing. I can use steal utensils and clean up is pretty easy, usually an overnight soak will take care of it and if it doesn't, I just leave it on a stove on high heat for 10 minutes and everything that didn't come off before burns off and turns to ashes. The own down side is that food adheres to too easily which makes it not ideal for skillet or sautéing.

For stir-frying I use a Simply Calphalon Hard-Anodized Nonstick 9-1/2-Inch Stir-Fry Pan. It's good for one person and has great non-stick. I'm Chinese and it allows good tossing which is important for a good fried rice. I'll write a blog on tossing in the future. The only downside is, you can't use this frying pan on high heat (I ruined one already by doing just that too many times), and you can't stick it in the dishwasher. Actually none of this Calphalon stuff that I own can go in the dishwasher which means I have to be diligent about cleaning up afterwards. When on the stove, keep it at 6-7 and no-higher, unless you want to ruin it.

For browning meats and sautéing I use the Calphalon One Infused Anodized 11-Inch Chef's Skillet. I honestly believe its the best piece of equipment out there. I'm sure I'll write about this Skillet a lot in the future, I've had such great results.

As for eggs, use a non-stick frying pan. Despite what Calphalon says, the Calphalon One Infused series just doesn't handle eggs well. Maybe the Calphalon One Infused Non-stick does it better but I love it when stuff does stick to that frying pan.

More about this stuff as time goes on.

No comments: