Sunday, April 6, 2008

Replication


Replication is a common thing that happens in IT. Always copying data from one place to another. Fortunately in cooking, missing data doesn't always mean failure, as a matter of fact, extra ingredients may even enhance a dish!

I had a dish during an outing with my team and it was really simple yet tasted great. It was just minced meat in a thick sauce laid over some noodles and covered in chives. I thought I'd give it a try.

I'm very lazy when it comes to prepping, I figured I can chop things up pretty fast so sometimes I do it while things are cooking. I decided I wanted a bit more color than just brown and green so I added some sweet yellow peppers into my variation. Prep work for this dish is easy; chop up some chives and yellow peppers. Make about a cup of slurry consisting of some soy sauce, water, salt, sesame oil, osyter sauce, diced garlic, honey, and about a teaspoon of cornstarch.

Then heat up two frying pans. One frying pan I use is stick and the other non-stick. I like using a stick pan for browning of meats and for sauté. In the stick pan, I sear and brown the minced pork to develop the flavor. Meanwhile in the non-stick pan I pour some oil and fry the Yakisoba noodles. When the meat is ready, I pour the slurry right over the meat in the same pan and turn off the heat. My pan instantly releases the meat that had stuck on when the slurry is poured in (Calphalon Infused, thank-you!) Then I let it reduce and sit for a little while. Noodles should be ready at this point, I then put them on a plate. I transfer the meat to non-stick pan so I can use the stick-pan for sauté. I quickly clean the stick pan and then I put a little bit of oil into the stand sauté the vegetables. Finally I pour meat over the noodles and the sautéed vegetables on top.

Takes about 10-12 minutes of prep+cooking time. Tastes yummy.

No comments: